Brad and I went to our appointment today for fibroid monitoring and, of course, to see how baby is doing. As always, I was pretty nervous going in. It's hard not to imagine the worst, even when you have no reason to think that way.
This was our first time going to the group practice, which is actually in the hospital where I will be delivering the baby. The doctor I mainly go to, who is a part of this group, has her own private office off hospital property.
I got to meet one of the other doctors for the first time, and he was very laid back and easy to talk to, even though his very deep voice caught me off guard. He sounds a little like Darth Vader. :)
First, let's talk about the fibroid. It has grown. Last week, it was 5.2 cm. Today it was 7.7 cm. It is an anterior fibroid, and the doctor is satisfied that with the direction it is taking, it will not interfere with my pregnancy or delivery at all. As a precaution, we will continue to monitor it. My next planned ultrasound will be around 21 weeks, and then I will have subequent ultrasounds at 28w, 32w, and finally 36w.
The good news is that I am no longer in pain! Let's hope it stays that way.
Ok, on to the fun stuff. We got a great look at baby! The u/s tech and doctor got some great pictures, and he even insists that he can already tell the sex of the baby. Now, don't run out and buy me anything gender specific yet because I am not sold, but doctor insists that this little munchkin is all sugar and spice and everything nice! When I challenged him on this, telling him that I knew it was too early to know for sure, he got a little defensive, citing all of his credentials when it comes to being a "sonography geek", and I guess to prove himself, he switched over to the 3D ultrasound. Score!!
We were very excited to see everything from the inside out, including the 4 chambers of the heart, the stomach, the brain, the spine, all the fingers and toes, and lots over overall cuteness. I'm pretty sure I can already tell that this baby is going to look just like his or her Daddy. ;)
One thing that we were very surprised to learn is that it appears we had a vanishing twin. The doctor could see the remnants of a second sac, as well as some things in the sac that indicate we had a very early vanished twin. I'm not sure what to think of that or how to feel, but I am very, very thankful for our one healthy baby.
Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
First, the 2D profile picture:
Then, the 3D profile picture. Baby says "hello"!
And finally, a good Halloween shot. Very creepy skeletor baby is waving at you!



Those are such great pics of the babe! I especially love skeletor. (S)he has a devilish grin:)
ReplyDeleteHURRAY!!! She looks beautiful already. We are so happy for you two.
ReplyDeleteInteresting on the vanishing twin! I wonder how many women have that, but never know.
Kara, I read that 1 in every 23 twin conceptions are "vanishing".. I think on wikipedia. I'd actually heard of it before, but it was definitely a shock to hear it.
ReplyDeleteGingy, I want to iron the skeletor pic onto a tshirt for Halloween or something LOL!
Congratulations Sarah,
ReplyDeleteA baby girl is something very precious. And you will make an awesome mother to her.
Now you can start getting pink. Yeah I hope you like that color.
A GIRL??? Is that what he implied it was? Awesome pictures! What a beautiful baby! I am so excited for you! I knew it would be a girl though-just a feeling I had ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's what he says, Ainslie, but I'm only 12 weeks. I refuse to think pink this soon!
ReplyDeleteNessa, thank you! You are too kind. I do like pink a lot, but I've heard too many stories of incorrect early predictions to let myself get used to the idea just yet. :)
Glad to hear everything is going well Sarah! And what beautiful-priceless pictures!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures, Sarah, thank you for sharing! I am glad to hear that your pain is gone and that the fibroid will not interfere with your pregnancy at all!
ReplyDelete